Saturday, July 18, 2015

You Can Do


"Never think you can't do something. Cause we just drove 20 km via taxi to catch a bus"

So we're traveling to Nepal. It's quite the experience. All the people here look like one of my Nepali kids back at the school named Mithun. We call him Mama due to some old history. So this place is filled with Big Mama's!

Our trip from Guwahati was fairly simple. Got up at 5 to catch a 7 o'clock bus. Got there with plenty of time. No problems minus my sore throat and already missing my kids like a diabetic misses cake. We caught the train along with like 1000 other people. I slept on the top of the three tier bunk bed that was too short for my legs and too close to the ceiling. Typical. It's amazing how much I've been sleeping lately. I think my brain told my body, "now relax Kam"

Train ride ended and we exited into the city of Siliguri. Thankfully we were greeted: by lots of taxi drivers and some orphan children who do the work of nearby pimps. It's a sad sight. We give them food and water instead and pray somehow they can get out. 

We ate lunch at this super sketchy restaurant where I probably got hepatitis A. But it's ok cause I got a shot. Then Ella, like the 21st century independent woman who don't need no man, got us a car to the Nepali border. That was fun.

At the border we filled out paper work, saw some other Americans that made me feel small (finally) and then crossed the border. We rode in rokshaws which are those three wheeled bikes you see on tv with the man pedaling up front and you sitting in a seat with cover in the back. Since I'm a giant and my bag is a giant and Ella's bag was a giant, I figured my driver would die as his 60 year old,  chop stick thin self pedaled me and the stuff across the bridge. He began to profusely cough, and I knew I would have to get down and do CPR. 

He survived. Praise be.

Before getting to the customs desk, we were bombarded by all the men of Nepal this time, asking us everything about our lives. We kept walking. At the customs desk we filled out the paperwork with such speed as we struggled to catch a 5 o'clock bus. A little frustration prevailed as we realized they wouldn't take our 100 dollar bill for some strange reason to pay for our visas. So we shelled out some more rupees. 

We then walked fast to the bus station and  found out it had already left. And then the owner had a brilliant plan: "you pay and then take taxi to the bus. I'll call and see where he is.... He's 20 km away (12 miles)"

I'm sorry, I thought... You want us to chase down a bus in a taxi that is 20 km away. Wow you must have me confused. 

But as the world traveler, Ella decided it was worth the attempt. Plus we would get our money back if we didn't catch it. So we paid and got in the taxi, and like in Need for Speed 8, this Nepali man zoomed us 20+ km to this bus. 

We caught it. I was amazed. Like what? 

So much adventure. 

Now I just look forward to a day at the spa, a hike in the mountains, kayaking on the lake and sleeping. Praying it goes by fast cause I need my children. But I also need a break. 

Until next time 

Yes. Just yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment