"How desperate are we for Jesus? Are we lying to ourselves by saying we're seeking him with all our hearts, but not even looking in His direction?"
I'm very thankful I have this pop-up mosquito net. It was probably the most useful thing I received before I came to India. It keeps the mosquitos away; and it does a good job about it too. I don't fear the diseased creatures breaking in during the middle of the night because there is a zipper door. I have enough space and its kinda homey. I feel safe.
I enjoy watching the mosquitos from the outside, trying very desperately to get inside and suck my blood. They fly right outside the mesh, injecting into air, for they can smell my blood, but are unable to get close enough to get the prize. It's kinda sad.
To watch them struggle. "Your desperation is serious" I think.
Then it came to me...
Are we trying very desperately to reach an unattainable God? This is more in a sense that we are trying and trying and flying around this net trying to get the prize. Trying to get to God. Trying to get His love, feel His warmth, receive His blessing trying to know Him. But we can't.
Two things come to mind: are we even looking in the right direction? And has the door to Christ been open this whole time but we've placed this barrier that blinds us to the entrance, open so wide?
When we search for God, it can be so easy to start off searching in the wrong direction. Some may seek Him in things, or in feelings, or even in himself/herself. Beliefs have arisen that there is a little bit of God in each of us, as if we ourselves are God. And oh, how so dangerous.
And so, we search for God. We look under rocks, around mountains, behind Him, around Him. We're simply looking in the wrong direction. Instead we should be opening His word, or closing our eyes to pray, asking Him to reveal Himself. No I don't believe that He will reveal all of Who He is because then we'd die. But the word does say that we shall find Him if we seek him with all our heart. And I think that's more than praying to God once and waiting for something to happen for 5 min. It's more than reading the bible a couple of times and thinking, "well I got nothing from this book of hieroglyphics and confusion." I think it's more like taking a break from all your daily plans and sitting at home, alone, and waiting for God to whisper. Or begging him to please open up his mouth and speak, praying for real upon your knees until they blister. That's at least getting a good start.
Or are we searching God while at the same time putting up our walls or our nets, our webs and our screen doors. And the actual entrance to get to God is easily visible around the corner. And if we just take the time to look around the barrier we have put up or simply take it down, then the way to Jesus will just be there. Kinda like if I unzipped my mosquito net, leaving the entrance to blood paradise open for all mosquitos to enjoy. I think the mosquito would be able to find its way easily.
Are we finding our way? Can we simply get past the barriers and distractions. Can we place it all at Jesus's feet? Can we put it behind us? Can we take it, douse it with gasoline, and set it ablaze because it's just so in the way?
Can we let go and let God, so they say?
I'm not sure if I have. I think to my self as I lie here in my mosquito net. Have I been here in this life, in India, for this long and am still having trouble finding God.
Truth of the matter is that He's already found me but we know that even a drowning person in clear danger can resist help if they want to.
So my appeal to myself and to you is this: take the time to discover God. Don't just be one who knows about Him. Be someone who knows Him. Be the person that when asked about Jesus, you are readily able to say and explain with conviction that "Jesus is everything."
Take down the walls if they're there. Turn in the right direction if you're turned around. Finally, be like the mosquito and yearn earnestly for blood.
For Jesus blood, and everything else that come with it.
Bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment