Friday, June 28, 2019

But It's Worth It


"Do a work that's worth it. This way, when it batters and bruises you, or maybe hurts and uses you, at least you can say you counted the cost and it was worth it."

I never thought I would return to this jungle "paradise" for a second time. Even so, here I am for the third time. I use the word "paradise" lightly because some wouldn't believe that everyday life here is equal to any paradise they've ever known. Yet, it's works for me. 
I assist in caring for 30-45 boys ranging from ages 9-22 years of age. This includes some students-turned-staff who I cared for from before, who although older and juggling more responsibilities, still require guidance as they navigate it all. The job can be taxing, as my own responsibilities seem to multiply with each passing day: covering cuts and bruises, leading expeditions of discovery, responding to every question and concern the boys can possibly think of. 
Caring for them has taught me numerous lessons, like the need of structure and discipline in the lives of children, or that sometimes kids don't need anything except to know that you are there. Sometimes they just want to be around you because they know that you care. And for these kids, thats goes a long way. 
Living with these boys, especially, has given me some understanding of the nature of parenting. Do I have all the answers yet? No. Have I made many mistakes? Yes. Am I on my knees enough asking the Lord for continued wisdom and guidance? I know I should be in that position more often because this job is hard. Eating last or sharing your food because you want them to be fed is hard. Disciplining behavior that is not acceptable hurts more than I thought it would. Staying up late or losing sleep so that they can rest and be well taxes the body. Its a sacrifice.
Yet, its not a true sacrifice in comparison to Christ's that He made for each and every one of us. It wasn't convenient for Him to give up His place in heaven to save retches like us. It was difficult beyond compare to walk the life of humility and self-denial. It hurt to have His people deny and crucify him. But to Him, it was worth it. For the chance to choose Him, He took each stripe willingly. For our salvation, He died our death. 
Likewise, it's worth it for me. To see their smiles, it makes the thousand questions worth answering. To see them happy, its rewarding to adventure even when tired . To know they feel loved and cared for, it's worth it to give what I can. 
My prayer is that I never grow tired of doing for them what the Lord has done for me. He never gave up on me; so by His grace, I will have the strength to never give up on these kids. For if I have learned anything from my many escapades to my little paradise, just being loved by them makes it one hundred percent worth it. 

Hobey ho

Sir Kam 

No comments:

Post a Comment