Sunday, March 22, 2015

Camp on Steroids


Anyone who knows me knows that I love camp. I love the area, I love the staff, and I love the kids to death. It takes about  two days, but normally by Tuesday of each week, my kids of shoshoni cabin are like my little brothers, temporary sons, the like. I grow close to them and am always sad to see them leave when Sunday rolls around.

Beings here at Springs of Love is like being at camp on steroids. The area is so incredible. The rolling hills make me feel I like I am always in an adventure. There are places to be discovered, people to see, cows to almost hit with my scooter. The staff I work with make working here filled with countless laughs. Just having causal conversations with them make me laugh. Their English, Indians saying, and mannerisms make every day filled with something to laugh about.

And then there are the kids. I really loved teen camp at ICC because the kids were at an age that I can could have serious conversations with them. I could joke with the kids and they could joke with me. They offered insight to talks but were still awkward. They were blossoming young men and women and reminded me that I was just where they were. I felt my life being relived though many of them. In others I saw pain and wanted to share my Jesus, who was also their Jesus, with them. The teens here at springs of love are no different. The boys and girls make me cackle with laughter. They tell me jokes. They make fun of me on a daily, which actually makes me laugh because it shows how much of   foreigner I am. And yet, I laugh at their English words that make me scratch my head until I actually figure I out what they are saying. They always want to play on my team, help them sing special songs, play uno, help with the terrible math HW I always give them.

Yesterday I was reminded once again how much I'm enjoying myself and am being blessed by each of the kids. We played a bible trivia game for AY. You would have thought the questions were for seminary students. Or maybe it was a reminder that I need to read my bible more. For most of the questions the kids were clueless like me. We all made jokes for the unknown ones. I also have gotten them to say "alabanza" and "bless" along with other words. Moriah would be proud. It was just a great time. Later, I was teaching the girls some camp songs with motions. They are extremely fond of motion songs. After, we played "Fruit Basket Upside Down", a game which invokes lots of running and screaming, which I love to do. We played that into the night as the sun set. After dinner was SNL. The kids really look forward to the games I have planned for them. Sometimes I really struggle to come up with group games, but the internet is helping. Last night I made up a game called Blind and Many Distractions, a game that involves doing things blind and distracted. Who knew? They enjoyed that one even though it took half the time to actually get started. With the chaos and screaming and fun, I became lost in the moment. They say that you go to do work in the mission field in order to bless and reach others. In actuality, the tables are turned the majority of the time. Their happiness make me happy, their laughter makes me laugh, and their love makes me want to love some more. Just like camp, the kids help me learn more lessons than that they could ever know.

I'm having fun here, if you didn't know. I'm learning a lot. Culture is being poured in and out of me. I'm doing lots of unexpected things like teaching adult sabbath school with an hour's notice. I'm learning two languages. I'm driving motorcycles. I'm absorbing in all the sunrises and sunsets and being amazed by the night stars. I'm laughing a lot and praising God with this people on a daily basis. It's alright. More than alright actually.

I asked a friend of mine how long she thinks my honeymoon stage will last. She told me "probably as long as your attitude allows." It was the perfect answer. My connection to God and attitude will be the determining factors in how this time here in India plays out. I'm already dreading the fact that a month has passed by because that means I have to come back in t-minus 9 months. I'm currently not overjoyed with the thought. I'm sure it will change. For now, I'm going to enjoy this camp on steroids and see how long this attitude will last.

Alabanza and Bless.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your friend's answer about the honeymoon stage, however, when it happens (and it WILL happen), it's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. You aren't a failure. You're not a "bad" missionary. Life is just hard. Adjusting to a new place is just hard. Period. You are enough. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete