Someone was murdered yesterday. Not sure the entire details, but they were nearby. It makes a little sense cause today is a bond day in India. Bond days are those days in which rebels of the government declare that they have the power. They do so by killing random people who decide to come out on this day; so we are all staying inside today. There is no school, we aren't going to the Dolongre bazaar, and we aren't going to see patients today. Which is fine because I like life. I like life here too.
Last night, one of the female staff bought a chicken from the village. She wanted the chicken. Right then. At 6 pm when the sun was down. On bond day. And since she convinced me that we would be fine, I drove her out to the village on the waker. Plus, God always gives us safe travels. And so we drove out. Every pedestrian we passed by was a suspect. My situation is a little more reckless than others because here when two people of the opposite sex travel together, you had better be married, siblings, or parent and child. If not, some villagers can get upset and attack. This was the second lady I had driven on the waker (Ms. Leshimi and I normally go out). We were safe though. When we got to the lady's house, it was just Ambi, the older lady who is kind of like Ms. Leshimi's grandmother. She knows me well. We talked a little in Garo and got the chicken. The poor fellow didn't know he was going to his death as his legs were tied together and thrown in a bag. Tragic. The female staff member then threw the bag in her back pack and we went back.
I also came down with a little bit of cold recently. So I'm trying to rest up. When the nurses get sick, that is normally the time that everything falls apart. It happened last week when Ms. Leshimi fell ill and it's already happening now with me a little under the weather. Everyone wants to go to the hospital now, everyone needs a bandaid, everyone in campus is sick, and of course the midwife teacher is currently in town getting supplies which makes Ms. Leshimi the stand in teacher. It's a little crazy and reckless. But we'll get through it. I know. One tissue at a time. Day by day. It's going to be a fun week. And a little reckless.
Hobey Ho and here we go.
My goodness! Everything sounds so intense!
ReplyDeleteStay safe!
I'm praying for you.