Friday, March 13, 2015

The Negative Side to be a Math Teacher

 Today I had to scold my students for the first time that I have been teaching math. There is already much struggle with teaching math because most kids hate math and consequently may have a disliking for you or your class. They may not care,  they may cheat, etc. Even after allowing the kids more than 2 days to do the same homework, for I saw that they were still confused, and I forgot to take up their journals, and after reminding them with a stern voice— “make sure this assignment is correct because it WILL be a grade. You now have time to redo the assignment. Please CHECK IT”— their work was still mostly wrong. Only one of my students in this class actually did semi well. The rest were making silly mistakes throughout, coping the problems down incorrectly, or simply not doing problems. That gave me the impression that when I speak with “warning” in my voice, “this problem is also on your HW. Make sure you do it,” they aren’t listening. Moreover, some were making the exact, very unique mistakes, which suggested even with the time given, some were still cheating. This is sad because I offer to tutor every day from 7-830 pm, if they need help.  I understand math is very difficult; however, I believe in what the Lord can do through these kids. And so I threw some grace on the situation because a friend of mine helped me realize that the Lord is soooooooo gracious to us. After going over all the questions in class, I challenged them to redo the homework over the 3 day weekend and show all the work. If then, I saw improvement, I would consider changing their grades.

Oh how my heart hurt when I had to tell me students to pay attention in class, ask questions, don’t cheat, etc. I used my Ricky voice in it all. It’s my scary stern voice. I hope I got through to them; but I also hope they saw the love and concern and Jesus in the way I spoke to them.

Then I thought, “How does Jesus scold us, his children?” How does He speak with love and seriousness at the same time? How gracious is He really to us? Why does He even bother with His children who are rebellious, don’t listen, and constantly sin against me. Then I thought, He is love. But not the love we imagine and “perform” day by day. Our love can’t even measure up to His. The  concept of true Love can’t be put into words. If God is Love and God cant truly be described by human words that are tainted with sin, then Love is also indescribable. At least that’s how I see it. We can saw that God is a man, but if that be the case, then like man, God makes mistakes, which is not God. If God is all-powerful, how far does His power reach? Well infinity we may say; but how far is infinity? I can’t grasp it. In the same manner, that’s how hard it is for me to comprehend the Love that is God. The only thing I can compare it to is what He says in His Word: Love is Him laying down His Son as a sacrifice for a rebellious, sinful, back sliding world.  

That’s crazy. That’s wild. Think about it.

I know I’m only a temporary teacher. Yet, I am the student of the Only indescribable Teacher.


Bless

2 comments:

  1. What you're going through must be so tough! Know that you are making a difference even though you may not see it right away. We keep you in our prayers and think about you often.

    ReplyDelete