Friday, April 24, 2015

April Fools


Timrei fell sick a couple of days ago. He and the other 10th graders went to town for the day, and he came back with some serious stomach pain and bathroom issues. I treated him with some antibiotics and stomach medicine and prayed with him to get better. I don't have favorites but if I did, Timrei would be up there. Therefore, I didn't like seeing one of my little brothers sick.

 The second day of his sickness was a little better than the rest. Even so, I decided to give him a different medicine that would be more appropriate for his problem. I sent him to bed. No problems. 

I woke up the next morning at the usual time of 530. While reading and getting ready, Ms. Leishimi ran by my door. "Kameron sir, what happened?!"
 
 I was very confused. "Ummm idk, you're the one bringing something up."

"Timrei is sick?!" She said.

"...yes. I already told you yesterday, and I am currently treating him."

"Well he has gotten worse, you need to go see him."

Oh no, I thought. The whole conversation was strange in itself as she went to go draw water from the pipe. She didn't seem in a big hurry to see this kid, especially if he had gotten worse. Anyway, I leisurely put on clothes and get ready because.. It was 530 am. As I was about to leave, Ms. Awon came by and said in worry, "Timrei is really sick! Go fast! Blessingson is also sick. Hurry!" And then she ran away. 

Now my nerves were really on edge. Two of the boys were sick! Oh no, I must have given a wrong medicine and Timrei must be throwing up everywhere and in serious pain. He's probably on the ground covered in his own vomit. Close to death. And Blessingson is probably catching the same disease! What if he too makes a turn for the worse?! Oh no, I've made a medical error that has cost someone their life!! My brother's life!!! All these thoughts were swimming in my head as I grabbed my stethoscope and headed out the door. I went back to my room after running halfway across the campus to get the rest of my emergency equipment. I'm sure I looked silly and worried. 

I expected the absolute worst when I walked into the Boy's hostel. Mess everywhere and two of the boys in complete and utter distress. And yet, I found the hostel completely silent. Like they were all asleep. They were all asleep. 

Strange.  

And so I went to the boys' beds. Timrei and Blessingson were peacefully sleeping. Nothing seemed to be wrong. I figured if something was wrong, there would at least be a look of distress on their faces wen in sleep. 

I woke Timrei. "Hey are you ok?" He was fine. A littler better than the previous day. He actually slept that night unlike the previous one. And so I moved on to Blessingson. "Hey, what's going on?" 

"Nothing sir..." He said is half sleep confusion. 

"So you're not sick?"

"No sir"

"Is there anything wrong?"

 "I don't think so."

"You sure?"

"I'm sure sir"

He continued to convince me that everything was just fine. No problems, zilch, nada. 

And so I left the boys hostel in as much confusion as Blessingson. Where did the girls get their information from? It didn't make sense. The stories weren't matching and I was seriously worried. What if something was happening that I didn't know about. And so I went to find Ms. Leishimi to clear things up. I was still mad she took her sweet time drawing water and didn't come see the patient with me. 

I walked towards my house and then around the corner where the girls use the water and everyone was.......Laughing! 

"April Fools!!" They screamed..........
-_________________- really I thought? That was a joke?! I complimented then on their "good joke" and walked away.

I was soooooooo upset. It was April Fools days but I didn't think they even knew what it was so I just forgot about it. Guess not. In America, I'm not used to people crying wolf on injuries just for the sake of April fools day. It stresses everyone out. But for them, it's permissible. I later explained to them how it's done in America. 

After all this, I returned back to my Hostel and just relived the whole situation. I was still a little mad. Funny, not really. 

The rest of the day was filled with jokes. I gave them a quiz in math. They thought it was a joke. It wasn't. HA!!!! At the end of the day, Ms Ella played a little trick on all of us. She brought us a dessert treat to have after our music practice. We all took a piece and said cheers to the good practice. 

And then the treat tasted like mint. She has spread Colgate on top of the snack. It was clever. It was good. I still hate mint. But it was still a good laugh. We all laughed.

We laugh a lot here. It's kinda like a way of life. A good one I think. We should laugh more. There is something about the laughing with everyone here that makes me fall in love once more every day. There is some kinda study that talks about some good result of laughter. I forgot. Not that it really matters. I just know that I love laughing. I love it here. And I don't want to go.

May the days draw out, and let's laugh through and through. 

1 comment:

  1. That April fools joke WASN'T funny. I would have been upset as well. 😕. U handled it well though. Proud of u and love u!

    ReplyDelete