Its true. There are pimps in the ghetto wherever you go. Today we went to see a family in the nearby village due to a suspicion that they might have malaria. When we arrived, we did our ordinary check up procedure and treated the patients accordingly. I was surprised the family was able to immediately pay us such a large sum of money, 1150 rupees or 20 dollars. Normally that kind of money here takes some time to collect. Then they told us a story.
They said that they owned a lot of beetlenut tress. Beetlenut is like tobacco that they use for many activities here. Beetlenut sells well in these parts and they were able to get 1 lack of rupees which is 100,000 rupees. With money like that, a family could easily live off the profit or built a house or buy a waker or many other things. And so we asked them why we didn't see a new nice house or a waker that could be used to make more money or something else that could bring in more income. The uncle told us that the country side is filled with underground agents that keep close eyes on the people. When villagers suddenly have something nice that they normally have never been able to afford, such as a cement house or a motorcycle or waker, the underground takes note that they have probably gained access to a large sum of money. And therefore they come to the house and request sometimes 3 or 4 lack, when the family has only made 1 lack. If the money is not given, the underground shoot the members of the household, take what little money they have and then keep moving as is taking a walk through the park. They know that killing them will keep the fear high in the villages and they will remain on top. Most definitely individuals controlled by a dark force, I was still shocked that someone could be so cruel. That pimps like this exist. That it's getting worse. Ms. Leishimi told me that they could even see us driving by on the motorcycle and scooter or come to the compound and see that we have money and request an outrageous amount. I told her, I have no problem with packing up my stuff and going somewhere else if need be. And yet, I pray angels surround us everyday that we go out. I believe that they do because already miracles have been performed.
Like the time recently that i burned my leg on the muffler of the motorcycle the one time I decide to wear shorts. I fell in a patch of mud that was impossible to get around. When the bike tipped, my leg hugged the muffler nicely. Very nicely. And yet, all was well.
Or how that morning we went to see a sick baby. It was the same baby that I waited for in someone's yard for 2 hours towards the beginning of my time here. And I didn't know garo. And I drunk the milk and the water. And didn't get sick. It was that baby. We got to the bottom of the hill and were told that the baby died the previous night. Shocked. So shocked. He was only a little over a month old. According to this lady, the baby's genitals had retreated into the body and the baby had turned blue and black as if someone had beat him. The mother had waited for us the previous day but due to another 3 am labor and the clinic that same day, we were unable to make it. We are still unsure of what happened to the baby. Maybe the family tried to use garo medicine, which is very strong, to heal the baby. Or maybe their was a congenital defect that would have had to be fixed in a hospital setting. We told the mother to take the baby to the hospital days before things got worse. But she didn't. No money. You wonder what you do in that situation. Borrow money and pay back? Go in faith that the Lord will provide? Let your baby die? Questions.
And even with all this terrible loss, the family had peace in their hearts. We visited the afternoon after the baby died and they seemed alright. I could tell the mother had been crying but she seemed more put together than most mothers. They expressed that the time was sad, but that they would be ok. I'm not sure if God was mentioned but they did let us pray with them. They still laughed at my garo and smiled at my presence. If I can put a smile on the face of a grieving mother, I think that's good for a day's work.
And so even though there are pimps in the ghetto and babies are dying and legs are burning, babies are living and love is thriving, and God is still in control. Their is much joy to be had. And so I'll laugh a little more today and tomorrow. Even at gunpoint. It would be hard, but our mission is sure: to live, breathe, and preach the Gospel to all who will hear. Even to those pimps in the ghetto.
Sigh.
Here we go.
No comments:
Post a Comment